Solid ideas from OLC..
Abbreviated list of strategies:
- instructor should review learning outcomes prior to the term and tailor discussion content to extend and enrich the material.
- instructor should post the initial response to all discussion forums.
- the instructor should create and save a series of daily discussion posts that can be cut and pasted into the forums (thoughts on the topic, links to resources, or scholarship to further engage students in the discussion).
- the instructor should consider posting an additional prompt encouraging students.
- YouTube videos, Ted Talks, news articles, etc. should be posted to make the discussions technologically rich.
- narrative comments should be posted as part of assignment feedback directing students to revisit and comment on something in the discussion forum.
- The instructor should respond to the initial post a student makes in each forum (ask a question, affirm something the student stated, redirect if the student is off-topic, or provide a link to a resource the student might enjoy).